Day One Recap

Day One of the experiment seems to be going well!  We have genre, characters, setting and a rough plot.  What I am affectionately terming the “shepherded fate technique” seems to be working really well.  And the time constraint helps us to make decisions, and stick to them.  I’ve always been a big proponent of constraint in art – if you have all the money and all the time, and all the fill-in-the-blank, it makes it nearly impossible to make anything.  Limited budgets have helped create new techniques, and innovative storytelling ideas.  It seems like limiting time is having a similar effect, at least in our work.  We were able to come up with a three act plot in no time flat, because we had to.  Ninety minutes ahead of schedule!  And our B story is fitting in nicely.   We even came up with a list of titles, and we still have three hours of scheduled work time.

So, we are at a crossroads.  Either we soldier on in the scheduled time (until 2am) and just fill the time – starting our in-depth beat sheet.  Or we let it marinate in our brains while we sleep, and start fresh and well rested where we intended to begin tomorrow.

After not much deliberation, we decided to head to bed.  The chances that we remain ahead of schedule seem pretty slim, so we very well may be up past two tomorrow (which we learned is actually three…).  Plus, the clean break is satisfying.  We know exactly where to start in the morning.

Until tomorrow!

-a

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s